A Domesday Manor, Canonteign was given to the canons of St Mary du Val in Normandy circa 1125 and later conveyed to the Prior and convent of Merton, in Surrey. After the Reformation it was granted to Lord John Russell and then passed through a series of owners. It was garrisoned for the King during the Civil War and taken by Fairfax in 1645. According to Lysons it belonged to the Davy family in the 17th Century.
In 1812 Sir Edward Pellew, later Lord Viscount Exmouth, purchased the manor and it became a farm after 1828 when Exmouth built Canonteign House close by. It was restored by Lady Exmouth in the 1970’s and during the last few years the ancient house has been brought into the 21st century with extensive and sympathetic renovation.
Today it is a comfortable and workable family house, combining the best of its 400 year old origins with the conveniences of modern technology. It is a beautiful property which has been sympathetically cared for to ensure it continues to stand proudly for decades to come.